Login
Welcome to Test-paper.info
Friday, November 24 2017 @ 09:04 AM CST
 Forum Index >  General Chat >  General Chat
 Would a miracle happen?
First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last    |  Printable Version
By: Iffah (offline)  Thursday, May 21 2009 @ 02:23 AM CDT (Read 6089 times)  
Iffah

In about 3 months time, PSLE is coming..My kid has never passed his English,Maths and Science.I have tried all sorts of methdod from sending him to tuition to enrolling him to enrichment centres...it doesn't work.I don't know what else to do..Sigh..

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: JeffreyO (offline)  Friday, May 22 2009 @ 10:37 AM CDT  
JeffreyO

I think the most important thing now is not to give up. If you give up, then really must wait for a miracle to happen. You still have 3 months.. Try to spend more time with your child and practice thru all the papers you can get your hands on. I think we should at least put up a fight rather than just leave it as it is. Wish you all the best in preparing your child for the PSLE. Smile

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: queesiang (offline)  Saturday, May 23 2009 @ 11:22 AM CDT  
queesiang

Hi

Can TOTALLY understand what you are going through! Check out the following site for some help on getting your child ready for PSLE Science and Math :

http://www.pslescience.com/
http://www.pslescience.com/psleintensive.htm

Hope this will help.
From a fellow mum with PSLE child and STRESS!
ALL THE BEST!

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: Iffah (offline)  Sunday, May 24 2009 @ 09:17 AM CDT  
Iffah

Thanks ..all for the encouragement and websites. I am not giving up..I am really hoping..it would be a miracle.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: JeffreyO (offline)  Tuesday, June 02 2009 @ 11:22 AM CDT  
JeffreyO

Do keep the members here posted of your progress. Some of us here might have been down that same road before and might be able to give some helpful suggestions that could give that extra push. No one knows. No harm trying right? Idea Mr. Green

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: Iffah (offline)  Tuesday, June 02 2009 @ 11:54 PM CDT  
Iffah

Sure will, As expected , the SA1 result, was demoralising. Sometimes I felt, if a kid was not destine to pass..no matter how many ways you try,its just not working.. But then again..as a parent, how can I just face the kid and tell him, no need to study..you just don't have the thing for it..Big sigh!...
I know there is saying,you only fail when you stop trying..but so long as you try.. there is always a chance..sumtin like that..by these words...I'm still holding on to that ...I wonder whether there are any parents out there having similarity situation like me....what had or could have been done?..Big sigh...! Hopefully there will be a rainbow at the end of the road..which is not too far away... from now... Really hoping....

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: Mrs Ho (offline)  Saturday, June 06 2009 @ 09:33 AM CDT  
Mrs Ho

Hi,

I would think there are a few critical success factors that may help:

First, believe in your child that he can do well, and pass the PSLE with flying colours. Encourage your child to have the confidence to succeed. Inspire him with the interest to pursue his studies.

Next, the important step is to prepare and practice for the exams. This website has lots of test papers and exams papers which should serve as useful practice materials. As the old saying goes, practice makes perfect.

All the best for the coming PSLE preparation with your kid. Do motivate him with some reward, such as a vacation together after the exams!

Mrs Ho

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: dannitan (offline)  Tuesday, July 14 2009 @ 06:07 AM CDT  
dannitan

Hi there,

Don't give up. Your child needs your support and most important your love and understanding.

My son took his PSLE two years ago. He's very dreamy and whenever he's supposed to be studying, I can see that his mind was just not concentrating. The books are right in front of him but he's miles away!!

In desperation, I enrolled him in the Exam Preparation Course at Mindchamps in July. He learnt examination and study skills which helped him to remember the topics learnt. Most importantly, my son became very confident and self-motivated. I didn't have to beg him to study anymore as he did it willingly. They helped him set the goals which he wanted to achieve and he made it!!

Mind you, the Mindchamps programme is not cheap but it's worth it if your child is able to apply the techniques learnt ... and not just for the PSLE. I can't say that it will the same miracle for everyone but luckily for me it really did the trick for my son.

Another desperate mum

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: Strawberry (offline)  Sunday, August 23 2009 @ 10:14 PM CDT  
Strawberry

Hi,

For science, you can go through the topics with your child and help him to remember the concept of each topics.
For example, diversity. - the usual open ended questions - what is the similarity of the animals. (pls compare the size and shape) So justify it in term of the concept - habitat,diet,reproduction,the way they move, outer covering,look alike or different from parent.
Most important is to teach your child to understand the question. whether they are asking for life cycle or diversity. (because different topic has different expectation of answer)
You can also try to print a lot of part A for your child to do. because part A stands the highest overall marks.
You can also print the paper again and ask him to redo.

For English - the scoring part will be composition writing, oral, listening comprehension. for paper paper 2, focus a lot on the part A too. part B will be a bonus.
For comprehension OE, you can try sitting down with your child to read the passage together and decode the meaning of each sentence. Most of the time, the question is ask in term of paragraph.

For Maths, practice MCQ and section B. Section C may put off your child as it is already very difficult for him. So, we don't want to put him off anymore. start small but with discipline. you can print p5 maths for him to do too.

Hope this will help

Forum Regular Member

Profile Email    

By: yongjianrong (offline)  Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 04:17 AM CDT  
yongjianrong

Well, for maths, it's set to be like: each question number has a concept to be tested on. For example, if your son is weak at a particular section: e.g. writing out numbers as words, then that would be question 16 of most exam papers, meaning revision papers, exam papers, usually will have question 16 to test the concept.

So, the main thing is to find his weakness, and revise more on it.

Then, for english, vocabulary, I would say that's more of reading. What can be improved is grammar and others. For instance, grammar, it's always the few type of concepts and almost the same question number.

Lastly, for Science, if his weakness is at the open-ended section, then, he should think of what might come out.

For example, (Depends on different schools' syllabus) conservation of water/electricity, electric circuits, magnets, matter, etc. Usually, a question in the exam will require circuit diagram. That's all I can say.

P.S. I'm only P5 Neutral

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last

All times are CST. The time is now 09:04 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content