Login
Welcome to Test-paper.info
Friday, November 17 2017 @ 04:50 PM CST
 Forum Index >  Test Paper Related >  Primary 6 Matters
 Express or Normal?
   |  Printable Version
By: syun (offline)  Monday, March 15 2010 @ 02:51 PM CDT (Read 1865 times)  
syun

My child's a slow learner, that's why I've been pondering over this... come PSLE, if he were to barely make the mark for the Express stream, should I still send him for it?

Or should I let him go to the Normal stream in a reputable sch, so that he can cope at a pace he's comfortable with? Your opinions are greatly appreciated

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: teachthemwell (offline)  Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 10:29 AM CDT  
teachthemwell

diff pros & cons.
in express, ur child may face pressure of not being able to catch up and may still get sent back to normal in the end, which may affect his esteem. however, he may pick up pro-studying vibes from his peers. in normal, he'd get more time to grasp things and wouldn't suffer dips in confidence. but there could b a danger that his peers may b rowdier.

go with ur gut. gd luck

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: syun (offline)  Sunday, March 28 2010 @ 02:30 PM CDT  
syun

Thanks teachthemwell.
would need to hear some more opinions..
Any other parents who had faced, or is also facing this dilemma?

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: bensng (offline)  Thursday, April 01 2010 @ 12:20 PM CDT  
bensng

Hi syun,

If you are really sure that 'slow' is the issue and not 'playful', you might want to consider opting for normal stream first, then work on brushing up his fundamentals during this open period and holidays, and then try to get him promoted to the express stream based on his sec 1 results. Best of both worlds, building his confidence and moving him back to compete in express stream. Thing is... a lot of more guidance, monitoring and encouragement is required, lots of kids get this inferiority complex situation being in normal stream (see link below)

See this link -- http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-resent ... 881?v=wall

2 cents comments. Hope it helps. Wink

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: syun (offline)  Saturday, April 03 2010 @ 08:56 PM CDT  
syun

Thanks Ben
Wow, didn't know there's such a group in FB. Actually, after reading their posts, feel quite sad & indignant for the Normal kids... How could the teachers treat them that way, sigh.

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: belle (offline)  Sunday, April 04 2010 @ 10:47 PM CDT  
belle

i think 1 more year of secondary sch doesn't really matter. express students are not immune to failing O'levels too. maybe letting him take that 1 more year to master his subjects may not be a bad idea in the end.

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: nisalam (offline)  Monday, May 17 2010 @ 08:08 AM CDT  
nisalam

I know of several children who have done very well for themselves after 5 years in secondary school, and who then excelled in poly. Whatever you decide, be there for your child, and show him lots of love and support. So long as he gets that at home, God willing, he'll do fine in school too. Good luck!

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

All times are CST. The time is now 04:50 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content