Login
Welcome to Test-paper.info
Wednesday, December 13 2017 @ 04:48 PM CST
 Forum Index >  Test Paper Related >  Primary 1 Matters
 Is Every Child having Tuition & Loving to Read
   |  Printable Version
By: limpiyen (offline)  Tuesday, March 25 2008 @ 12:32 AM CDT (Read 3132 times)  
limpiyen

My son doesn't seem to have problem coping with his P1 work, to date hasn't been given any major test. Both his English spelling and Chinese tingxie scores are ok, 90%-80% full marks. I have been trying to get him addicted to leisure reading, but it is really difficult to find to right type of story book that come in a series. I just started him on Zac Power Series. I wonder whether any parent out there share the same ideal that lower primary children who can cope don't need tuition but need lots of reading. Pls share.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: usha (offline)  Tuesday, March 25 2008 @ 06:26 AM CDT  
usha

It is 100 percent true and correct that P 1 kids do not need any kind of tuition and giving him exposure to reading good books will not only improve his English marks but also his Maths. I am a parent with grown up kids and have seen this proven in my kids case. So go ahead and expose him to any/all sorts of titles and make him a star.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: limpiyen (offline)  Tuesday, March 25 2008 @ 07:56 PM CDT  
limpiyen

Reading is tricky, first the exposure to different books, next is to find some addictive titles and next stage is about books of the mother tongue. For me, tt is more difficult than just sending my boy to tuition. Nowadays, there are so many other temptations.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: kenmic (offline)  Tuesday, August 12 2008 @ 01:05 AM CDT  
kenmic

can recommend some books suitable for P1 reading ?

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: kellywww (offline)  Saturday, August 23 2008 @ 01:08 AM CDT  
kellywww

Yes, I have also been trying to get my son to be keen in reading. I guess constant pushing is needed. I usually bring him to the library to get 8 books every 3 weeks. If he gets to finish 5 out of the 8 books, I am happy already. The books are usually short stories about 48 pages each.

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: kellywww (offline)  Saturday, August 23 2008 @ 01:19 AM CDT  
kellywww

Quote by: kenmic

can recommend some books suitable for P1 reading ?

Hi Kenmic,
My son is in P2. Actually I have problems finding suitable books for him to read. I trust that all book in our library are suitable for our children :-)
What I do is flip the pages of books through and make sure there are not too many words in a page, and there are some nice drawings that will entice my son to read.

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: kellywww (offline)  Saturday, September 06 2008 @ 01:50 AM CDT  
kellywww

Hi kenmic,
Try Dick King Smith's books - he uses animal characters to teach good values.

Anyone has any other recommendations? My son likes pirate stories but I don't know many authors of children's books.

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: literaturelover (offline)  Monday, September 08 2008 @ 11:52 AM CDT  
literaturelover

I try to cultivate a love for books by simply going with whatever the child is interested in. My eldest is a boy who used to be very interested in bugs and nature, so we would buy him reference books on such topics. initially, he would only look at the pictures, but gradually, he would figure out how to read the words. He's since moved on to other science-y topics, and we continue to feed his interest... but because of that, he has learnt that books contain a wealth of information and will willingly pick up books to read. He's enjoyed the Geronimo Stilton series, as well as fiction books based on Bionicles and Exoforce, amongst other things. he's in p2 now.

My girl is dyslexic, but in love with all things girly (like ballet and gymnastics and such), so I try to find books that are not too overwhelming for her,that revolve around the topics that she likes. She is in P1 now, and enjoys Charlie and Lola and the Little Miss series.

My youngest is in N2, and while she is not able to read storybooks in their entirety, we make sure she gets exposed to books she enjoys, which right now are mostly about animals and babies and other such cute-cute things.

Hope that helps

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: Strawberry (offline)  Sunday, February 22 2009 @ 12:29 AM CST  
Strawberry

Hi all,

You can try reading to them. What I experienced is that children at this year are having a lot of fear in them when they are reading. They are worry that they pronoun the words wrongly.

As for topics, you can ask them what they like. If they have no idea, pick up some books with different plot. It is also important to start reading habit with them by reading together with them.
You can also log to internet to find interactive story. Children love to see story. You can try this site http://www.magickeys.com/books/

During the reading session, you can pause at some points to discuss how you feel about that sentences. What you can relate to.. Then you can also ask him/her how he feel.
Let them fantasize. This will help them in creative writing, comprehension and oral. If they tend to say "I don't know" it okay. You can also ask them to close their eyes and you reread the story again. Before you start reading, tell them to picture the character and the setting. After reading, ask them what they see while you reading. This is help to cultivate them in comprehending. It will also help the children know that reading is as fun as watching TV program.

hope this will help

Forum Regular Member

Profile Email    

All times are CST. The time is now 04:48 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content