Login
Welcome to Test-paper.info
Sunday, November 19 2017 @ 11:37 AM CST
 Forum Index >  General Chat >  General Chat
 Dilemma...
   |  Printable Version
By: syun (offline)  Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 09:18 AM CDT (Read 1370 times)  
syun

Initially I sent my son to speech & drama class so that he can become more confident in speaking. But now it seems like i indirectly influenced his ambition...

He told me he wants to become an actor when he grows up! Personally I'd prefer him to take on the safe iron ricebowl job rather then that of a struggling artist..........................

Regret & worried. Don't know whether should I stop his speech & drama class or not

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: jas.soliano (offline)  Thursday, August 26 2010 @ 01:18 PM CDT  
jas.soliano

Hi, how old is your son?

It's good that kids have dreams. As a parent and educator i feel we must always encourage their interest.

He may be a famous actor one day or even act for societies or free lance. Nobody knows! What I'm sure is that your son will foster great friendships along the way and have wonderful memories.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: syun (offline)  Monday, August 30 2010 @ 06:26 AM CDT  
syun

Hi Jas, thanks for the reply. I know I'm being selfish, but its hard for me to get pass the fear of my son growing up poor with an unstable future... Yet I want him to be confident & articulate from the course. sigh...

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: limpiyen (offline)  Tuesday, August 31 2010 @ 12:03 AM CDT  
limpiyen

Rolling Eyes my son wants to be PM when he grows up

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: limpiyen (offline)  Tuesday, August 31 2010 @ 12:04 AM CDT  
limpiyen

Big Grin Obama wanted to be president when he was a kid

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: leongmart (offline)  Sunday, September 05 2010 @ 04:34 AM CDT  
leongmart

This post reminded me about a humorous line I read in the magazine '8 Days' about parents sending their child to Speech and Drama and not being happy when the child wants to be an actor.

Personally, I think it is fine if the child has the talent and passion for acting (thinking of Zoe Tay and other very successful local actors). Even if they don't be that famous or popular, in pursuing a lower salary career, enjoying the job and being happy is more important than having a high paying job with lots of stress, anger, dissatisfaction and unhappiness.

In any case, speech and drama isn't aimed at giving a child a acting career. It is more about developing the self-confidence and the speaking ability of the child. These are traits required in any job in the future, not just acting. And for children who are not academically inclined, they may just find their area of excellence in speech and drama. So if this is what they do best, they should be encouraged. Who knows, they may end up as motivational speakers, life coaches, lawyers, etc, not just actors.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: Caring (offline)  Monday, September 06 2010 @ 07:06 AM CDT  
Caring

Is good for a child to have dream. Be it anything. Mine wanted to be a garbage truck driver when she grows up. But now she's doing her PHD. Ha...ha...when she told me that I just smiled and said "as long as this make u happy"

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: syun (offline)  Monday, September 06 2010 @ 04:05 PM CDT  
syun

Gosh... After seeing all the replies, I feel ashamed for being shallow... Guess I'm somewhat prejudiced... Maybe I should loosen up and let things take its course

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

All times are CST. The time is now 11:37 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content