Login
Welcome to Test-paper.info
Sunday, October 22 2017 @ 05:46 PM CDT
 Forum Index >  Test Paper Related >  Primary 6 Matters
 Problem Sum
   |  Printable Version
By: anooravi (offline)  Friday, May 02 2008 @ 07:34 PM CDT (Read 2331 times)  
anooravi

The following 5 marks problem sum appeared in a CA1 (2008) school paper. I was keen in sharing since the sum at the first glance seems complicated but the solution is simple,provided the students get the right technique. Let them give a try.

After a Math quiz, Mr Li gave the three prize winners some pens to share. The first winner received 1/3 of the total number of pens plus another 2 more pens from the same total. The second winner received 1/3 of the remainder plus another 3 pens. The third winner received 1/3 of the new remainder plus 6 more pens. There was no pen left after this. How many pens were there in all?

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: anooravi (offline)  Monday, May 05 2008 @ 09:56 AM CDT  
anooravi

The answer for the problem sum is 30 pens.
This sum is more easier by Model Drawing than by algebra. I am sure all of you would agree with me.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: graceong (offline)  Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 09:39 PM CDT  
graceong

Your question on Mr Li giving the pens to his prize winners is very intriguing. Care to show by model drawing how this is done?

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: nisalam (offline)  Friday, May 14 2010 @ 07:27 AM CDT  
nisalam

last kid had 1/3 + 6 of the new remainder, and there was none left - meaning 6 equals 2/3 of the new remainder. So the new remainder would have been 9 (which is what the 3rd kid received).
2nd kid had 1/3 + 3 of the remainder, meaning what was left for the 3rd kid was 2/3 of the remainder minus 3. So 9 + 3=12 was 2/3 the original remainder. So the second kid had 6 + 3 = 9 pens as well.
The first kid had 1/3 of the original sum + 2, so the original remainder was 2/3 - 2. That amounts to the total of the 2nd and 3rd kid. So 2/3 = 9 + 9 + 2 = 20
Therefore the original number was 30. Wink
If you don't understand this, let me know and I'll try to put up an attachment of the model. Razz

P.S. Thanks @anooravi, for sharing the question!

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: graceong (offline)  Sunday, May 16 2010 @ 09:52 PM CDT  
graceong

Tks, Nisalam. Took me awhile to figure it out .... but, it's clear. Tks alot. How do you show it by model, though? Would appreciate if you could show it by attachment. Don't you think it's quite a mind twisting exercise for a 12-year-old? My child will face this in two years' time. I tremble for her. But, thanks a lot.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: nisalam (offline)  Monday, May 17 2010 @ 08:01 AM CDT  
nisalam

hmmm, I have a word document ready, but I have a problem uploading it as an attachment (getting the error message that the file type is not allowed). any help on that will be appreciated Confused
but, don't worry, Grace, children are wonderful creatures ... they'll manage somehow.
my own son is in P6 this year; his biggest worry is the dreaded MT, esp as he is taking a language that is not even our own, and he never uses it outside the classroom, sigh.

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

All times are CDT. The time is now 05:46 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content